Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Gratitude (K-2nd Grades)

During this week's Mind Move Make class we talked about gratitude!  I asked the students if anyone knew what the word gratitude meant, and we had many thoughtful answers.  Then I had everyone close their eyes and think about at least three things that they are grateful for.  I asked them to imagine all the things and people that they are grateful for surrounding them.  After that, we shared the things for which we are most grateful.  Several students were happy that they had a house to live in.  One student was thankful that he could hear and see.  Many students were thankful for their pets.

Then I asked them to think of smaller things, perhaps things they experience everyday, that they are thankful for.  As an example, I mentioned that I'm thankful for hearing my two-year-old's laughter and seeing things growing in my garden.  One student mentioned being thankful for the ability to run through the playground.  Another student talked about sliding down the slide at recess.

During the movement part of our class we played Musical Mats again!  The game is like musical chairs, but we use the yoga mats and no one has to sit out.  During the time the students were moving from mat to mat I instructed them to move in a specific way.  They leapt like frogs, lumbered like bears, and walked with a cane as if they were 100 years old.  When the music stopped each student scurried to a mat and I gave them a yoga pose to try.

Before beginning the art portion of the class I read the book In My Heart by Molly Bang.  It is the story of a parent's love for her child.  The book talks about how no matter what she is doing,  the mother keeps her little boy in her heart.  She is never alone because her child is always with her.



The students used the self-portraits they started during another Mind Move Make class and added a larger paper to create their bodies.  They drew the people they love the most in their own hearts.  Here are some examples of the drawings so far.  Next week we will complete them and incorporate color!: